Demilitarization, Dismantling, and Disposal (D3)
The aim of D3 services is to process excess property requiring disposal in the most cost-effective manner consistent with adequate security, environmental protection and safety. These services include the processing of military items, defence articles, and defence systems which are owned or procured by or under the control of the military services or defence agencies. Executing those services will eliminate the military capabilities of said military items, defence articles, and defence systems to preclude unauthorized use, to destroy the military advantages inherent in certain types of property, to render innocuous that property which is dangerous, to protect national interests, and to preclude the compromise of security requirements. The D3 project is a completed NATO Smart Defence project, considered as a successful example of multi-national logistics.
D3 support to national surplus military equipment such as ships, aircrafts, tanks, etc. also considers two major aspects:
- Costs of executing D3 in view of constrained national budgets and
- Industrial return for national industry sources.
Satisfying NSPA’s user nations expectations (costs/industrial return) can be achieved through NSPA’s traditional approach by building on consolidation of requirements and international competitive bidding. In fact, the short term use of a contracted or shared capability represents a significant cost saving over the creation of a standing capability in each nation.
Moreover, the possibility to use "off the shelf" legal and financial instruments to implement multinational support arrangements is a key factor of this project success.
Finally, the importance of environmental impact and regulations is paramount for the D3 activities;
The D3 SP is compliant with all applicable laws and international conventions and in accordance with the EU, NATO, ISAF, national and international laws and regulations as well as OHSAS 18001, ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 standards. The project office itself is ISO 14001 certified.
NSPA does not stock weapon systems or ammunition in any of its facilities.
For further information please contact :
- Supply management and automation
- Maintenance, repair, engineering and calibration
- Naval Logistics Support
- Random Brokerage
- NATO Logistics Stock Exchange (NLSE)
- General Procurement Shared Services (GPSS)
- Demilitarization, Dismantling, and Disposal
- NATO Trust Fund projects
- Environmental Protection and Energy Efficiency Services
- Logistics Data Management
- Logistics Documentation Support
- Configuration Management
- NSPA Routing Hub
- BASELOG Codification Programme
- NATO Codification Support
- Interactive Electronic Technical Publications (IETPs)
- NATO Master Catalogue of References for Logistics (NMCRL)
- Electronic NATO Ammunition DataBase (eNADB)
- Electronic Customer Information Sytem (eCIS)
- Central Software Management (CSWM)